What if our economy could be nurturing, non-exploitative, sustainable, and decolonial? Join us in visioning how to smash capitalism, learn about about alternative economies, and find your place in it all.
This free 8-session series welcomes youth ages 15 – 25 from all backgrounds. We particularly encourage youth with lived experience of poverty to apply.
We hope to bring together youth with a broad range of interests and experiences – there’s no need to have a knowledge of economics! Meetings are held biweekly on Wednesday evenings at Broadway Youth Resource Centre (on the 99 B-Line) and we provide free dinner and snacks!
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Envision alternative economies based in sustainability, compassion, and justice
- Develop solutions that reflect your values, and get access and tools to advocate for them
- Build relationships with like-minded peers and local organizations
- Challenge your ideas around the root cause of poverty
- Connect with local organizations doing advocacy work in different sectors
- Work on group projects that actually take action on the issues you’re learning about
- Participate in ongoing program assessment and evaluation efforts
WHAT YOU’LL GET
1. A chance to develop a critical analysis of issues. Hear from people who are tackling poverty reduction from different angles. We make intentional space for questions and discussion.
2. A cohort of like-minded peers. Cohort members will get to know each other through structured reflective and group exercises meant to built trust and comfort with one another. We’ll have opportunities to grow your facilitation skills.
3. Opportunities for advocacy work with local organizations. Network with other organizations, social justice groups and campaigns.
4. Subsidized tickets to local events and bus tickets for travel.
5. Ongoing support and mentorship. Cohort members will set learning objectives and receive ongoing mentorship from experienced staff.
6. Other change-making opportunities like writing blog posts, organizing events, supporting community actions, and others.
7. Certificate of completion.
8. Reference letters for the work you’ve done with us, upon request.
This program runs from February 2020 – May 2020. We will be meeting every 2 weeks (with a few exceptions) on Wednesday evenings.
- January 31st at 12:00 noon: Applications due. You’ll receive an email by 11:59 PM that night confirming the status of your spot.
- February 15th (Saturday), 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM: Introductory session (mandatory). Location TBD. Lunch provided.
- February 26th, March 11th, March 25th, April 15th, April 29th, May 13th, May 27th (Wednesday evenings from 5:30PM – 8 PM): biweekly cohort meetings. Dinner and snacks provided.
If you can’t make these meetings in person, you will have the option to attend via video conference (on the Zoom platform). We also send out videos after each meeting. See this page for more accessibility information about our space.
All events will be held at Broadway Youth Resource Centre (2455 Fraser Street, Vancouver, one stop away from Commercial-Broadway station on the 99-B-line).
Questions? Send Adrienne an email at adrienne[at]checkyourhead.org or give us a call at 604.709.5644!
We are committed to having a cohort that reflects the diversity of the youth population in the Lower Mainland. We encourage applications from youth who have experience with poverty, people of colour, Indigenous individuals, newcomers and immigrants, members of the LGBTQ2+community, people of all genders and abilities, and members of other underrepresented communities.
To apply, fill out the form below.
Application Deadline is January 31st, 2020 at 12:00 noon.