Love writing and editing? Are you passionate about supporting other young folks in writing interesting, inspiring, and informative pieces on social, environmental, and economic justice issues? If you are 15-25 years old and live in Metro Vancouver, unceded Coast Salish territories, we invite you to join our team as our volunteer blog coordinator! You will be working with our volunteer youth bloggers to hone their writing skills, as you engage with a wider audience of like-minded young change makers!
Our Volunteer Blog Coordinator:
- Mentors volunteer youth bloggers, helping them edit their work and sharpen their writing skills
- Receives support and mentorship from staff
- Is responsible for ensuring blog posts get published regularly
- Committed participation until March 2019
We welcome creativity, so there are also many possibilities for blog post formats: infographics, animations and other compelling ways of engaging in issues you care about are encouraged! Check out the blog to get an idea of past submissions!
What you get:
- Skills development – gain marketable skills that can be applied to a variety of professions, such as teaching, non-profit work, youth work, writing and editing, and others. Learn deeper critical analysis of issues and grow your own editing and writing skills.
- Ongoing support and mentorship. Our Blog Coordinator works closely with the support of experienced staff.
- Unique experience editing and publishing in an activist setting!
- Other change-making opportunities like writing blog posts yourself, organizing events, supporting community actions, and others. Network with other organizations, social justice groups and campaigns.
- Reference letters for the work you’ve done with us, upon request.
We are looking for a young person who:
- Is between 15 and 25 years old, so as to achieve our peer-to-peer approach
- Has experience and/or a desire to work with youth aged 13-25
- Has a passion for social, economic, and environmental justice and peer-led education
- Has excellent organizational and time-management skills, and accountability
- Has strong writing and editing skills
- Has availability for at least 10 hours/month / Commitment to working on 2-4 blog posts each month until March 2019.
To apply, send Emily an email at emily(at)checkyourhead.org
Deadline to apply is 10:00 am, October 1st, 2018.
Questions? Send Emily an email at emily(at)checkyourhead.org or give us a call at 604-704-1051!
We are committed to having a team that reflects the diversity of the youth population in the Lower Mainland. We encourage applications from people of colour, Indigenous individuals, newcomers and immigrants, members of the LGBTQ2+ community, people of all genders and abilities, and members of other underrepresented communities.