Now accepting Applications for Cohort 3 (October 2019 – January 2020). Application Deadline is Wednesday, September 25th, 2019 at 11:59 PM.
What if our economy could be nurturing, non-exploitative, sustainable, and decolonial? Join us in visioning how to get there, learn about about alternative economies and find your place in it all.
This free 10-week program welcomes youth ages 15 – 25 from all backgrounds. We particularly encourage youth with lived experience of poverty to apply. We hope to bring together youth with a broad range of interests – there’s no need to have a background in economics! Meetings are held biweekly on Wednesday evenings at Broadway Youth Resource Centre (on the 99 B-Line) and we provide free dinner and snacks!
What you’ll do:
- Envision alternative economies based in sustainability, compassion, and justice
- Develop solutions that reflect your values, and get access and tools to advocate for them
- Build relationships with like-minded peers and local organizations
- Challenge your ideas of what poverty looks like and is caused by
- Connect with local organizations doing advocacy work in different sectors
- Work on group projects that actually take action on the issues you’re learning about
- Facilitate workshops in high schools and community spaces about poverty and income inequality
- Participate in ongoing program assessment and evaluation efforts
What you’ll get:
1. Training. Gain marketable career skills that can be applied to a variety of professions, such as teaching, non-profit work, youth work, and others. Learn deeper critical analysis of issues and grow your facilitation and community organizing skills.
2. Ongoing support and mentorship. Cohort members will work within a team of like-minded peers, set learning objectives, apply feedback, and receive ongoing mentorship from experienced staff.
3. Unique experience being involved in important advocacy work with local organizations.
4. Subsidized tickets to local events and bus tickets for travel.
5. Other change-making opportunities like writing blog posts, organizing events, supporting community actions, and others. Network with other organizations, social justice groups and campaigns.
6. Certificate of completion.
7. Reference letters for the work you’ve done with us, upon request.
Commitment and Important Dates:
This program runs from October 2019 – January 2020. We will be meeting every 2 weeks on Wednesday evenings, with the exception of December 18th, December 25th, and January 2nd.
- September 25th, 2019 (Wednesday, 11:59 PM): Applications due.
- October 5th, 2019 ( Saturday), 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM – Introductory session (mandatory). Location TBD. Lunch provided. Meet some of our partners and find out how to get involved in their organizations!
- October 16th, October 30th, November 13th, November 27th, December 11th, January 8th, January 22nd (Wednesdays from 5:30PM – 7:30PM): biweekly cohort meetings, dinner and snacks provided.
All events will be held at Broadway Youth Resource Centre (2455 Fraser Street, Vancouver, one stop away from Commercial-Broadway station on the 99-B-line).
Questions? Send Adrienne an email at adrienne[at]checkyourhead.org or give us a call at 604.709.5644!
We are committed to having a cohort that reflects the diversity of the youth population in the Lower Mainland. We encourage applications from youth who have experience with poverty, people of colour, Indigenous individuals, newcomers and immigrants, members of the LGBTQ2+community, people of all genders and abilities, and members of other underrepresented communities.
To apply, fill out the form below.
Application Deadline is Wednesday, September 25th, 2019 at 11:59 PM.