We are looking for an exceptionally organized and energetic learner who’s passionate about youth activism to join our small but mighty team! You’ll practice making dazzling designs and learn more about communicating for nonprofits. If you’re an exceptionally organized and energetic individual passionate about youth activism and brilliant with visuals and tech, we want to hear from you!
What’s more – there is a $3000 professional development fund available for you to learn skills that would help you in your career!
Check Your Head: the Youth Global Education Network is a youth-driven not-for-profit organization founded in 1999 and based in Vancouver, BC, on unceded Coast Salish territories. Our mission is to educate, activate, and empower young people to engage in social, environmental and economic justice movements and to create a more equitable, democratic and sustainable future. Our main activities include workshops, training, supporting youth-led action, and engaging youth volunteers. www.checkyourhead.org
Start Date: Week of April 8th
Duration: 12 months
Hours: 15 hours/week – office based, regular office hours
Compensation: Living Wage for Metro Vancouver ($20.91 in 2018; new calculations will be released in April)
Office Location: Fraser St and Broadway at the Broadway Youth Resource Centre
Our Organizational Culture: Collaborative, passionate, curious, reflective, nurturing. Learn more about us, our values and guiding principles here: https://checkyourhead.org/who-we-are/organization/
Reporting to the Operations and Projects Coordinator, you will be responsible for assisting with a variety of technical and creative tasks using various ICTs in a supportive, small team environment.
Guided by CYH’s communications strategy, you will be:
- Designing marketing, promotional, educational and outreach materials for CYH programs and projects, including posters, web graphics, social media shareables and videos
- Support fundraising and fund development efforts through creating visual materials
- Producing e-newsletters through MailChimp
- Supporting website content development and design features (Word Press-based)
- Ensuring strong social media presence
- Assisting with providing technical support for all office operations (Mac and PC-based environment, CRM, Google products, website backend, etc.)
To be eligible for this position, you must be:
- Between 15 and 30 years of at age at the start of the internship
- Have recently (within 2 years prior to the start of the internship) completed post-secondary studies
- Legally entitled to work in Canada
- A Canadian citizen, Permanent Resident or person who has been granted refugee status;
- Not in receipt of Employment Insurance during this internship; and
- Self-assessed as under-employed, meaning you are employed below your level of education and/or hold part-time employment.
Check Your Head encourages BIPOC, immigrants and refugees, LGBTQ2I+, folks of all genders and abilities, and youth from other underrepresented communities to apply.
Check Your Head will be accepting applications for this paid internship position until March 31, 2019, and interviews will begin the week of April 1, 2019. This position will begin at a flexible time during the week of April 8, 2019.
Please email your application as one PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org in the following format:
- Subject heading: Communications Intern
- Attached file name: firstname_lastname_CI.pdf
- Cover letter
- Resume outlining relevant skills and experience
We want to thank everyone who applies for this position in advance. Only successful applicants will be contacted for interviews.
Funding for this position is in part from the Digital Skills for Youth Program of the Government of Canada.