You can download a PDF of this callout here.
Callout for Youth Facilitators
Youth and Gender Media Project
Check Your Head (CYH) is a youth-driven non-profit organization. We encourage young people to understand and take action for social and environmental justice. Since 1999, CYH youth facilitators have delivered over 2100 workshops and worked with over 60 000 young people. Our work is motivated by the understanding that a healthy, democratic and sustainable future depends on a generation of informed, empowered and active young people.
Position title: Volunteer Youth Facilitator
CYH is recruiting youth facilitators for the third year of the Youth and Gender Media Project. Selected youth will participate in a training and mentorship program and lead workshops in schools around the Lower Mainland and BC. The project is focused on engaging youth around issues of gender representation, the media, and violence prevention through peer-led popular education workshops. Nearly thirty volunteers completed the program in its first two years, acquiring facilitation skills, experience with workshop activity development, and lasting connections with peers, community mentors, and CYH. Focus areas of past training have included arts-based dialogue, safer spaces, gender equality and the law, and anti-transphobia.
- Facilitation, leadership, and anti-oppression training (Sept. 28-29)
- Networking and community building opportunities with young activists
- Supported opportunities to take action on social and environmental justice issues, including co-facilitating workshops with youth about gender, the media, and violence prevention
- Mentorship from woman-identified leaders in the community
- Monthly dialogue groups to meet with mentors and fellow facilitators
- Participate in a one-hour orientation night (Wednesday, Sept. 25) and one weekend of daytime facilitation and leadership training (Saturday, Sept. 28 – Sunday, Sept. 29)
- Attend monthly skills-building workshops
- Co-facilitate workshops in high school classrooms
- Communicate on an ongoing basis with CYH staff and community mentors
- Contribute to the CYH blog and social media, and create and share community actions
Upon completion of responsibilities, participants will receive certification of their training and participation, as well as a $100 honorarium.
The closing date for applications is: Monday, September 16th at noon.
To apply, please e-mail a statement of interest (max. 500 words) and copy of your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org; Attn: Leah Horlick; Subject heading: Media and Gender Youth Facilitator. People of all genders are encouraged to apply.