“Earth provides enough to satisfy every man”s needs, but not every man”s greed.” ― Mahatma Gandhi
Earth Day is an annual celebration on April 22nd when events are held worldwide to demonstrate support for environmental sustainability and protection. How will you be participating in Earth Day this year?
If you are stumped, here is a list of 5 fun and creative suggestions of how you can get involved:
1) What’s more fun than getting your hands dirty with a bunch of friends to help clean up Mother Nature? You can do this by signing up to participate in a local shoreline cleanup or even two.
2) Instead of hitting the malls to shop for new clothes, plan a clothing swap in your local community and invite everyone you know. It is a thrifty and exciting way to exchange your old clothes for new pieces to add to your wardrobe!
3) Get some hands-on experience by volunteering in a local community garden and learn some impressive skills on how to grow your own food! Check out the various local organizations that advocate for sustainable food.
4) Host a garbage audit in your school where students sort through the garbage to identify how sustainable your school has been in its waste collection and think of ways to improve sustainability within your schools.
5) As the school year is coming to coming to an end, many students might be planning to throw away the school supplies they no longer need. This is an excellent time to arrange a school supply drive! All the supplies collected are kept out of landfills and can be donated to local charities or schools from lower-income communities.
And remember, “if you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito”.