Call for Action
We know that young people have great ideas that will create a positive impact in our community. But sometimes it’s hard to turn these ideas into actions without support or resources. This Autumn, Check Your Head is here to help actualize your ideas! We are inviting youth to submit action ideas that address climate change and/or food justice issues. Three actions ideas will be selected to receive funds of $300, $200, or $100 to see the action come to life!
Climate Change and Food Justice
Climate change and food justice are both critical issues for our local and global communities to address. Not only are they important, they are also very closely related. Consequences of climate change such as droughts and floods impact the amount of food that can be produced. In combination with unequal distributions of food, climate change also becomes a social justice issue. Current food production and distribution systems contribute to the causes of climate change. In a globalized world, most of our food comes from other places in the world. The transport of food contributes to global carbon emissions that ultimately drive climate change.
Although both climate change and food justice are huge issues for us to address as a global community, we can all take action locally to impact change globally!
What could you do to take action?
Whatever you want! Actions can be anything from a one day event with friends, or a longer project which includes lots of people from the community.
Here are some examples:
- Create a container garden on your patio or balcony
- Host a seed bomb making party with your friends
- Organize a film screening and invite your community to watch a documentary about climate change and food justice
- Plan a youth climate action dialogue event in the city and gain valuable action planning skills such as fundraising, marketing, and event planning along the way
Find more inspiration on our Take Action Page
Criteria for Action Proposal
- Address climate change and/or food justice issues
- Be local – Lower Mainland
- Be 100% youth led
- Not require more than $300 worth of funds from Check Your Head
- Take place anytime between September 15 – December 31, 2012
Deadline for Proposal
August 31, 2012
Submit your Action Proposal:
The application deadline has passed